Neighborhood & Education Program
The Neighborhood Program was formed in 1993 through the partnership of Shreveport Green and the City of Shreveport to preserve and enhance the livability of inner city neighborhoods. We work with various entities to improve the cleanliness, beauty, and health of Shreveport communities. We work with caring citizens to improve the quality of life in their communities.
To improve and preserve the beauty, cleanliness, and health of urban neighborhoods by promoting interest and activism for a suitable living environment.
- Public Speaking - speak/meet with neighborhood, youth, faith based institutions, and schools
- Meeting/Training - meet with Shreveport neighborhood organizations to discuss solutions for neighborhood issues: litter, illegal signs, unkept residential properties, beautification (landscaping)
- Litter Control - conduct litter cleanup trainings; provide supplies to groups to assist with litter cleanups; conduct activities to raise awareness about litter and litter laws; conduct litter index survey to assess areas with highest litter levels; direct litter information and prevention strategies to areas with highest litter levels.
- Good Neighbor Recognition - during February 1-26, citizens can nominate a Shreveport individual ages 25 and up to be recognized for going above and beyond and deserves the title of "Good Neighbor". They may pickup litter from block/street, help other neighbors (elderly, sick) with lawn care, plant flowers to beautify street/neighborhood park, etc.. Winners will receive prizes, be recognized in local newspapers, and will be treated to lunch.
- Enviromental Education - provide information to the general public that encourages responsible actions that lead to cleaner air, water, and land
- School Outreach - make environmental presentations to Caddo Parish school classrooms/clubs; organize litter cleanups; hold events promoting a litter free city; and help students understand the connection between their actions and their environment.
- Volunteer Recruitment - recruit, train, and inform citizens of volunter opportunities. Keep volunteers informed of Shreveport Green activities. Volunteers are also informed of proper practices for protecting the environment.
- Beautiful Yard Contest - Shreveport citizens can nominate homeowners to win the BYC recognition. Nominations are accepted during April 1-23. Individuals will be recognized, awarded attractive BYC Winner yard sign and a $15 gift card to a local home improvement store to continue their beautification efforts.